A QL can shield clients from a class of changes, but OTOH will make clients
have to compose the query strings, where with type safe libraries this job
is somewhat easier. IMO in the near term introducing a query language will
make client dev somewhat harder b/c of the (somewhat negligible) work of
composing query strings and mostly b/c I don't expect the QL to be stable at
v1 so still a moving target, but easier in the the long term mainly due to
the hope that the QL will stabilize.
One other benefit of query languages is that they make tooling a little
easier, one does not have to come up with a specific CLI interpreter or a
web interface with a set of input fields, you just have to type your QL into
a text box or a terminal like you do with sql.
Long term I think I'm in for a QL (although I have to think about the syntax
you suggested) but I don't expect it to benefit client devs in the near term
even if it was ready today as an alternative to thrift.

One small question, does this language tunnel through avro or thrift calls?
(Is >>> conn.execute() an avro or thrift call)

--
/Ran