Deeply nester structures in data stores are difficult. Hive allows List
Struct Map to be infinitely nested (to a point). Most Query languages don't
have ways to say:
navigate to x
go to map y inside x
find all the values inside y that are = 10

I think they have a name for this: :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_impedance_mismatch

So it is pretty cool that cassandra has support for complex types, but how
to access them/ slice and dice them is another question. I run into ths
problem with hive, we can log VERY complex objects but if someone has to
make a UDF to extract meaningful data they are not super useful.

In the past have adopted to store json and then user jsonpath queries to
extract information. (client side or server side)

https://github.com/zznate/intravert-ug/wiki/Server-Side-JsonPath-example

Personally I would rather see udfs/language features like lateral view that
work on the collections that already exist before this feature.