reaction is a macro that expands to evaluating the passed forms (here: 'v')
within a function (make-reaction).
I don't know the internals of Reagent but my guess is that Reagent has to
figure out which ratoms were used in that function call. This is done somehow
(by maybe some context setting etc) but it's not too important to know.

What matters is: In your case the v is evaluated before (by the "let") so
nothing is noticed by (reaction).