Thanks very much - that makes sense now.

I had read the guide, and not noticed the fact that conformed values can be
used as the *input* to specs. I looked again and the section on composing specs
with and and or makes no mention of it.

This behaviour does get a mention in the section on spec'ing functions - "The
second :args predicate takes as input the conformed result of the first
predicate".

Is it straightforward to submit a pull request on the docs? I think this could
use a sentence or two of clarification.