some comments:
a.) please merge/pull the changes i have in my branch at
lp:~smoser/cloud-init/freebsd-cleanups
b.) test_simple_write_freebsd is failing for me on ubuntu

I think that cloud.freebsd.cfg can't be put into config/
as I think it will be copied/installed/used on linux and screw things up.

- Drop some of your debug comments 'UBUNTU FORMAT START' stuff.
- "reading" rc.conf... not the greatest, wish there was something better.
  something you can fix, though, is compiling the 're' and using that rather
  than using 're.match'. that should be faster.

I think thats it.
sorry it took me so long to look at this.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~harmw/cloud-init/freebsd/+merge/231024
Your team cloud init development team is requested to review the proposed merge