On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Scott Moser <smo...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> $ cat go.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> deps="
> apt cloud-guest-utils coreutils dash debconf e2fsprogs gnupg2 hostname
> ifupdown iproute2 locales lsb-release mount net-tools passwd procps sed
> ssh-import-id systemd udev
> "
> for dep in $deps; do
>    apt-cache show $dep | grep -qi "^Essential:" && r=essential || r=not
>    printf "%-25s %s\n" "$dep" "$r"
> done
>
> $ sh ./go.sh
> apt                       not
> cloud-guest-utils         not
> coreutils                 essential
> dash                      essential
> debconf                   not
> e2fsprogs                 essential
> gnupg2                    not
> hostname                  essential
> ifupdown                  not
> iproute2                  not
> locales                   not
> lsb-release               not
> mount                     essential
> net-tools                 not
> passwd                    not
> procps                    not
> sed                       essential
> ssh-import-id             not
> systemd                   not
> udev                      not
>
> So, todo here is:
> a.) anything 'essential' does not have to be listed as a depends. Its
> assumed part of a Ubuntu system.

ACK

> b.) That leaves the others...
> Some that I think we should add for sure:
>  - net-tools (and then subsequently remove it by dropping use of ifconfig
> in favor of ip)

Do we want to require the dropping of ifconfig to this PR?  If so, that's
fine but I want to be clear on the TODO.

>  - iproute2: definitely should list this.

ACK

> apt : seems like this should not be essential given snappy.  We use it if
> its there.

ACK, move to recommends (as well as recommend snapd?)

>  - systemd: we should jsut not depend on this, but use the right init
> system wherever we are (could add systemd-init|upstart-init... but probably
> there *is* an init system).

ACK

>  - udev: i guess depend on it if we use it.

ACK: cc_disk_setup uses udevadm

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~raharper/cloud-init/+git/cloud-init/+merge/308555
Your team cloud init development team is requested to review the proposed merge