Josh,
I added some hackish support for getting log output today.
It should work in both snap lxd (tested) and package lxd (untested) if the lxd
is local.  Right now this only works on a local lxd. I do hope at some point we
could point it at a remote, but that is work to do.

The first time you run installed from snap, it will fail and raise exception
like:
ERROR - stage: set up and collect data for os: xenial encountered error: Unable
to log with snap lxc.  Please run:
  sudo mkdir --mode=1777 -p /var/snap/lxd/common/consoles: unexpected error in
platform.

I'll be happy to remove the log to local file at some later date.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~smoser/cloud-init/+git/cloud-init/+merge/336722
Your team cloud-init commiters is requested to review the proposed merge of