hi,

> I'm not sure I'm following what you're doing with those locks

Since I'm going to "swap" the IndexSearcher pointer for a new one I
need to make sure no other thread is currently using that pointer.
That's why the locks are needed.

> You can safely access one index searcher from multiple threads, but
> IndexWriter only from one writing thread. The thread accessing IW can work
> in parallel to searching threads.

That part is working fine.

The issue is:
  IndexSearcher* newSearcher = new IndexSearcher("index directory")
is blocking other IndexSearcher's.

Regards,
  Andrew Victor