The basic idea is the same as an internal sound card, since the internal sound
card is not working, there should be no problems. Yes they have plenty of
power to drive any headphone, even more than internal soundcards in most
cases.

In regards to your previous posting: do turn in HD audio, and do set it to
AC97 and turn off dvi audio ... maybe that should fix your problem.

Cheers
Sam