On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:52:58AM -0600, David Teigland wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 09:51:45AM +0000, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > In that case gfs2 should be able to generate the id itself from the
> > fsname and it still doesn't need it passed in, even if it continues to
> > expose the id in sysfs.
> >
> > Perhaps better still, it should be possible for David to generate the id
> > directly if he really needs it from the fsname.
>
> It's not actually a crc of the fsname, but a crc of the cpg name
> gfs_controld creates for the mountgroup, which is "gfs:mount:<fsname>".
> Also, we may at some point want to allow that generated id to be overriden
> by one that's set explicitly.

The fact that this id comes from gfs_controld, and becomes available only
during mount, makes me think it's not well suited to be the statfs fsid.
GFS should probably do it's own thing for statfs (like a hash of just the
fsname) instead of depending on gfs_controld for it.  With nolock the
daemons won't be there, and we'd still want the same fsid to be produced.