Hi,

On 25/02/15 05:17, Abhi Das wrote:
This is a revised version of the patches required to properly fix the
fallocate quota issue described in bz1174295

patch1: This patch supplies gfs2_quota_check() with the number of blocks
        the caller intends to allocate in the current operation, resulting
        in a more accurate quota check.

patch2: gfs2_quota_check() and gfs2_inplace_reserve() return the number
        of blocks available subject to quota limits and rgrp size
        respectively. The difference from previous versions of this patch
        is that we return the available blocks even on success.

patch3: The fallocate() function uses the features of patch2 to determine
        how many total blocks are available for allocation and uses them
        right away, instead of guessing inefficiently.

The behavior of quota enforcement is altered by this patchset.
i.   Quotas are exceeded (a warning message is also issued to syslog) before
      the actual usage blocks exceed the imposed limit. In fact, the actual
      usage can never exceed the limit. Whenever it is determined that the
      completion of an operation will cause a quota to exceed its limit, such
      an operation is aborted with -EDQUOT and a 'quota exceeded' message is
      dispatched.
ii.  The gfs2_write_calc_reserv()/calc_max_reserv() functions are used to
      map between available blocks and the data bytes that can be written
      using them. Typically, for large files, some blocks are used up for
      metadata and only the remaining blocks can be used for data. Example:
      To write only a handful of bytes that would easily fit in one block, we
      might have to allocate an extra bunch of intermediate metadata blocks.
      If we had only 1 block left in our allotted quota, this operation would
      likely fail.

The functions mentioned in ii. are not very efficient. They always compute
the worst case number of extra blocks required and it is often the case that
not all those extra blocks are used. We need to find a better algorithm to
get a tighter estimate on the blocks needed for a given number of bytes.

I've run some basic tests and things seem to be holding up. The failing case
in bz1174295 is fixed using this patchset. I'll do test build and pass it on
to Nate to test with.

Abhi Das (3):
   gfs2: perform quota checks against allocation parameters
   gfs2: allow quota_check and inplace_reserve to return available blocks
   gfs2: allow fallocate to max out quotas/fs efficiently

  fs/gfs2/aops.c   |  6 ++---
  fs/gfs2/bmap.c   |  2 +-
  fs/gfs2/incore.h |  3 ++-
  fs/gfs2/inode.c  | 18 ++++++++------
  fs/gfs2/quota.h  |  8 +++---
  fs/gfs2/rgrp.c   | 12 +++++++--
  fs/gfs2/rgrp.h   |  6 +++--
  fs/gfs2/xattr.c  |  2 +-

This looks good, but definitely needs careful testing,

Steve.