----- Original Message -----

> >> Thats true, however, as I understand the problem here, the issue is not
> >> reading in the blocks for the rgrp that is eventually selected to use,
> >> but the reading in of those blocks for the rgrps that we reject, for
> >> whatever reason (full, or congested, or whatever). So with rgrplvb
> >> enabled, we don't then read those rgrps in off disk at all in most cases
> >> - so I was wondering whether that solves the problem without needing
> >> this change?

Actually, I believe the problem is reading in the blocks for the rgrps we
use, not the ones we reject. In this case, I think the rejected rgrps are
pretty minimal.

> > The rgrplvb mount option only helps if the file system is using lock_dlm.
> > For lock_nolock, it's still just as slow because lock_nolock has no
> > knowledge
> > of lvbs. Now, granted, that's an unusual case because GFS2 is normally used
> > with lock_dlm.
> That sounds like a bug... it should work in the same way, even with
> lock_nolock.

Perhaps it is a bug in the rgrplvb code. I'll investigate the possibility.
Until I look into the matter, all I can tell you is that the lvb option doesn't
come near the performance of this patch. Here are some example runs:

Stock kernel with -r128:
              kB  reclen    write
         2097152      32   213428
         2097152      64   199363
         2097152     128   202046
         2097152     256   212355
         2097152     512   228691
         2097152    1024   216815

Stock kernel with -r2048:
              kB  reclen    write
         2097152      32   150471
         2097152      64   166858
         2097152     128   165517
         2097152     256   168206
         2097152     512   163427
         2097152    1024   158296

Stock kernel with -r2048 and -o rgrplvb:
              kB  reclen    write
         2097152      32   167268
         2097152      64   165654
         2097152     128   166783
         2097152     256   164070
         2097152     512   166561
         2097152    1024   166933

With my patch and -r2048:
              kB  reclen    write
         2097152      32   196209
         2097152      64   224383
         2097152     128   223108
         2097152     256   228552
         2097152     512   224295
         2097152    1024   229110

With my patch and -r2048 and -o rgrplvb:
              kB  reclen    write
         2097152      32   214281
         2097152      64   227061
         2097152     128   226949
         2097152     256   229651
         2097152     512   229196
         2097152    1024   226651

I'll see if I can track down why the rgrplvb option isn't performing as well.
I suspect the matter goes back to my first comment above. Namely, that the
slowdown goes back to the slowness of page cache lookup for the buffers of the
rgrps we are using (not rejected ones).

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat File Systems