Hi,

Since gfs2 can "allow parallel allocation from different nodes simultaneously as the locking granularity is one lock per resource group" per section 3.2 of [1].

Could it possible to make the locking granularity also applies to R/W IO? Then, with the help of "sunit" and "swidth", we basically can lock a stripe, so all nodes can write to different stripes in parallel, so the basic IO unit is one stripe. Since I don't know gfs2 well,  I am wondering it is possible to do it or it doesn't
make sense at all for the idea due to some reasons. Any thoughts would be
appreciated, thanks.

I am asking the question because if people want to add the cluster support for md/raid5, then it is better to get the help from filesystem level to ensure only one node can access a stripe at a time, otherwise we have to locking a stripe in md
layer which could cause performance issue.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/ols/2007/ols2007v2-pages-253-260.pdf

Regards,
Guoqing