On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 10:58 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:38 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> > The attached patch adds ClutterX11TexturePixmap and
> > ClutterGLXTexturePixmap support to pyclutter.
>
> Hi Emmanuele,
>
> At risk of sounding like I'm nagging, I wanted to make sure this patch
> didn't slip through the cracks and that you'd have a chance to comment
> on it. :)

no worries. I'm actually quite conflicted about binding platform
specific API, for three reasons.

first and foremost because pyclutter will not be able to prevent people
using python on win32 to call the x11 API - and vice versa. I can
prevent people to compile it on different platforms, by #ifdef'ing
everything out using the defines Clutter provides, or using the
clutter-${platform} pkg-config file. but depending on the platform you
might have the X11 texture-from-pixmap or the GLX texture-from-pixmap,
and that is going to be a pain to differentiate.

> Window types are implement as guint32.  Looking through the X headers,
> Window is a CARD32, which is an unsigned 32-bit quantity.  Pixmaps are
> a bit trickier, so I figured the most convenient and compatible
> approach would be to accept PyCObjects.

and this is the other issue: I don't want to start maintaining Xlibs
bindings for python. if you start adding X11 types people will start
requesting weird functions - like changing the X cursor, or other crap.
I barely have time as it is to maintain pyclutter - maintaining
python-cxlibs is completely out of the question.

the third and final issue is: are you really going to use Python for
something that relies on texture-from-pixmap? the only applications I've
seen using this extension are window managers.

+++

this is not to say I won't accept a patch that implements
platform-specific API; if anyone comes up with the patch addressing the
first two concerns and a use case for the third that is not
implementable using some C and a python wrapper, then I'll gladly apply
said patch. as it stands now, I'm not going to work on adding
platform-specific wrappers for the bindings I maintain.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi, OpenedHand Ltd.