Hi,

You can use glReadPixels, but the problem is glReadPixels reads the data assuming origin at lower left corner of the screen, where your video data may be shown in a window where the origin is top left corner. So the image data you get here is actually vertically flipped, so you have to manually manipulate the data (in s/w) i guess before you can use them. and to do that for each frame, is quite expensive operation.

My purpose was at some time depending on certain scenario, i had to take snapshot of the current framebuffer/GL surface data and then dump it on to the frame buffer later on when reqd.I followed the above mechanism.Because for me, it was at certain scenario and not in every frame, i am fine with the s/w manipulation of the image data captured..

May be this will give you certain hints..

Regs,
Rahaman

Saul Lethbridge wrote:
Would I be able to use glReadBuffer & glReadPixels to get the image data? Am I on the right track?

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/specs/man_pages/hardcopy/GL/html/gl/readbuffer.html
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/specs/man_pages/hardcopy/GL/html/gl/readpixels.html

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Florent <fthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

> I'm wanting an efficient way of capturing image data on the stage. I'd like
> to be able to take video of the stage and save it to a file. So being able
> to grab image data, frame by frame, from an animation. Has anybody attempted
> this or have any idea where I should start looking?

See
http://lists.o-hand.com/clutter/0175.html
http://lists.o-hand.com/clutter/2163.html

I recall pippin to have some patch for rendering video using ffmpeg,
but in short there is nothing like that in the main code (yet?).

There are ongoing experiments around gst-gl with clutter, might be
your best chance. Or simply try general purpose screen capture
software.

>I guess the best way
> would be for clutter-gst to offer this kind of feature.

clutter-gst just displays video frames to an actor.

Florent