On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Brad King <brad.k...@kitware.com> wrote:

> See above.  Lua has come up several times in the past in particular because
> its implementation is meant to be small and embeddable.  I've thought a few
> times about how to make Lua scripting available from within the CMake
> language
> in a clean way, but that will not be as valuable as the above pure-spec
> approach.

Please, do not do that.

The moment you make CMake scriptable in more than one language, you are
forcing every CMake user to learn that additional language because sooner
or later he will step into a third-party that is using that additional
language.

IMHO, if you want Lua, then Lua it is. But then please get rid of CMake
scripting.

BTW, I am sure you are aware of CMakeScript, CMake scripting in JavaScript:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmakescript/

Also, declarative? Why? There are already a few declarative build systems
(e. g. qbs, one of the reasons for its existence was CMake was not
declarative). By moving CMake from the current procedural scripting to a
declarative approach, you may alienate your current user base and be good
for none anymore.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org