Hi,

I don't think I've ever seen a direct answer to this question. Is it
something to be decided on a case by case basis? If so, then why is there no
general case?

I can see a possible reason that it is not solvable in the general case
because sometimes the behaviour of find_package can be changed by setting
variables (eg, one might use QT_USE_QTXMLPATTERNS before finding Qt4).

Specifically this comes up for me because I need to know whether Qt5 modules
should find their own dependencies. That is, should

find_package(Qt5Gui)

cause

find_package(Qt5Core REQUIRED)

to be called or not? Should that be the responsibility of the caller?

Thanks,

Steve.