On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Peter Kümmel <syntheti...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 21.07.2012 11:22, Claus Klein wrote:
>>
>> I can not understand the output, for me this test does not work.
>>
>> Change Dir:
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends/Project
>> Run Build
>> Command:/usr/local/bin/ninja [1/14] Building CXX object
>> CMakeFiles/foo.dir/foo.cxx.o [2/14] Generating zot_custom.hxx
>> [3/14] Generating zot.hxx [4/14] Building CXX object
>> CMakeFiles/zot.dir/zot.cxx.o [5/14] Building CXX object
>> CMakeFiles/zot.dir/zot_macro_dir.cxx.o [6/14] Linking CXX static library
>> libfoolib.a [7/14] Building CXX object
>> CMakeFiles/generator.dir/generator.cxx.o [8/14] Building CXX object
>> CMakeFiles/zot.dir/zot_macro_tgt.cxx.o [9/14]
>> Linking CXX executable zot [10/14] Linking CXX executable gen [11/14]
>> Generating noregen.h [12/14] Generating regen.h
>> [13/14] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/bar.dir/bar.cxx.o [14/14] Linking
>> CXX executable bar Running
>>
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends/Project/bar
>> Run result: 0 Output: "foo " Worked!
>> Running
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends/Project/zot
>> Run result: 0 Output: "[zot]
>> [zot_custom] [zot_macro_dir] [zot_macro_tgt] " Worked! Waiting 3
>> seconds... Modifying Project/foo.cxx Building project
>> second time Output from second build: Change Dir:
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends/Project
>> Run Build Command:/usr/local/bin/ninja ninja:
>> no work to do.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Running
>>
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends/Project/bar
>> Run result: 0 Output: "foo changed "
>> Worked! Running
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends/Project/zot
>> Run result: 0 Output:
>> "[zot changed] [zot_custom changed] [zot_macro_dir changed] [zot_macro_tgt
>> changed] " Worked! Configuring Configuring
>> done Generating Generating done Build files have been written to:
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends ========
>> End CMake output ====== Change Dir:
>> /Users/clausklein/Downloads/CmakeNinjaBuildDir/Tests/BuildDepends Run
>> Clean Command:/opt/local/bin/ninja -t clean
>> Cleaning... 0 files. Run Build Command:/opt/local/bin/ninja ninja: no work
>> to do.
>>
>> see:
>> http://open.cdash.org/testDetails.php?test=154196743&build=2456799
>> <http://open.cdash.org/testDetails.php?test=154196743&build=2456799>
>>
>> Can anyone please help?
>

> You could not run the BuildDepends test twice.
> You always have to remove the BuildDepends folder in
> the build tree before running it again.

This should not be the case. If it were, then our Continuous
dashboards would frequently fail the test on their 2nd and later runs
during a day... but this test very rarely fails on the Continuous
dashboards.

> Seems like a bug in the cmake file for the test.

The code for this test is difficult to understand. It all happens at
configure-time of the test project via execute_process in the
CMakeLists file.

Maybe there is a subtle problem in the test's code itself, but if so,
it's subtler than I can see...

This test has been around for a very long time, since before we had
"cmake --build" on the command line. Perhaps it should be re-written
using cmake --build or ExternalProject to make it easier to
understand.

The intent behind the test is simply to ensure that changing a header
file results in the proper re-compiling of c++ files that include it
when the change is followed by an incremental build.