On 2013-03-21 14:56, David Cole wrote:
Unfortunately, this entire discussion nicely demonstrates and reinforces
my belief that we ought not to do this == thing...

If Alex, Brad, Matthew and I can't understand each other's meanings
within the context of this discussion, what chance does a poor user
reading through the CMake IF documentation have of getting it right?

Adding a new better way to do something without eliminating the old
not-so-good way of doing the same thing is not necessarily a good thing.
Multiple ways to do things just make people shake their heads and ask
"Why?"

I am still voting no on this one.

Honestly, I am inclined to agree. There are other reasons also, e.g. no other place in CMake uses symbolic operators.

I would prefer a policy to inhibit expansion in quoted strings. (And I'd like it to be ON by default for sufficiently new CMake version required.)

--
Matthew