Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-11-30 18:41 EST
Last Modified:              2013-11-30 18:41 EST
It is known but not documented (see bug 13204) that both "cmake -E copy" and
"cmake -E copy_directory" currently follow symlinks on Linux.  This results in a
particularly bad situation when attempting to copy a directory that happens to
contain a broken symlink, e.g.,

software@raven> ls -l test_symlink
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 software software 3 Nov 30 13:29 new -> old

software@raven> cmake -E copy_directory test_symlink test_symlink1
Error copying directory from "test_symlink" to "test_symlink1".

When I encountered this much too generic error message when using copy_directory
for a very large directory recently I initially had no idea whether I was
dealing with an i/o error or whatever, and it is only by chance that I
discovered a botched exit from emacs in that directory had created a broken
symlink.

Thus, at minimum bug 13204 should be fixed and also copy_directory (and copy)
should have a much more specific error message identifying both the symlink and
the non-existent file that is causing the trouble.

In addition, a (Unix-only) option to NOT follow symlinks should also be
implemented for copy_directory and copy.  After all, every GNU utility by
default does not follow symlinks on Unix so it would be nice if at least this
option was implemented for the cmake -E copy_directory and cmake -E copy
commands on Unix.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change