Hi Nils:

Thanks for your quick reply.  More below in context.

On 2015-04-28 08:45+0200 Nils Gladitz wrote:

On 04/28/2015 08:00 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
The Qt5 cmake documentation at
<http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/cmake-manual.html> which Steve has referred me
to before states you should use the LOCATION property of targets to
determine the actual path to libraries. The PLplot build system
requires those locations so it can transform them into the -L and -l
form required to generate its pkg_config *.pc files.

Some time ago I got this process to work fine for CMP0026 OLD and Qt5, but
what is the alternative I should use for the CMP0026 NEW case (which
disallows using the LOCATION property for targets)?

Note PLplot uses a minimum CMake version of 3.0.2 so I am looking for
a CMP0026 NEW solution that works for that version or above for Qt5.

CMP0026 only applies to build targets.

The location of build targets is still in flux during configuration which is why getting the location of those during configuration time is unsafe.

For imported targets this does not apply since their location is fixed.

OK.  Thanks, for pointing that out.  Could you make that more obvious
in <http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.2/policy/CMP0026.html>, i.e.
change the summary line from

Disallow use of the LOCATION target property.

==>

Disallow use of the LOCATION property for build targets.

I took that summary line to mean exactly what it said and just plain
missed the reference to build targets that is in the first paragraph
of that documenation.

For which configuration LOCATION returns isn't defined but I suppose that may not matter for pkg-config.

Otherwise you may want to look into LOCATION_<CONFIG>.

I don't understand exactly what you mean by "configuration LOCATION
returns".  From what you said that term means something different from
LOCATION_<CONFIG> and in any case is not relevant to my use case of
generating pkg-config *.pc files with our build system, but I am
nevertheless curious about what you meant.)

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science