> On 12/11/2015 06:42 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > For Fedora EPEL we often end up packaging newer versions of cmake as
> cmakeXY
> > (e.g. cmake34) that can be installed in parallel with the system cmake.
> This
> > is a fairly invasive process.  I'm attaching the current patch I'm
> working on
> > for this.  Is there any interest in cmake itself for supporting this
> kind of
> > thing?
>
> Not particularly.  That does look pretty invasive.
>
> Why not just install it to /usr/lib/cmake34 with normal names and symlink
> the versioned names?  E.g.
>
>  /usr/bin/cmake34 -> /usr/lib/cmake34/bin/cmake
>  /usr/bin/ctest34 -> /usr/lib/cmake34/bin/ctest

+1
Personnally when I installed several version of CMake I do install them
with a particular prefix and then I use update-alternatives(1) to install
proper symlinks to the specific location.

I switch from one version to another using update-alternatives(1).

This can certainly be used on Fedora/EPEL as well:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Alternatives

--
Eric