Hi,

tl;dr: I have problems generating .pbxproj files with cmake, related to
deprecated attributes on .pbxproj.

We are using cmake to generate and build Xcode projects. We need to generate
the schemes programatically, and to do so we are using
https://github.com/CocoaPods/Xcodeproj to generate them.

The problem is that the .pbxproj contains some attributes that seem to be
deprecated. Specifically:

  *   “refType" for the “PBXFileReference" isa
  *   “buildSettings” and “buildStyles” for “PBXProject" isa

Xcode is nice enough to open the project and regenerate the .pbxproj. But we
are building from a CI environment, so it is not feasible to open Xcode.

If I open the project with Xcode

  *   “refType” is jus removed from the .pbxproj file. Also, a new project does
not contain this attribute.
  *   “buildSettings” and “buildStyles” are left there. But a new project is
not creating them.

Are there any ongoing efforts to fix this?

I have seen that refType is only used for Xcode version 1.5, except on
"cmGlobalXCodeGenerator::CreateXCodeTarget”. I suppose it would be safe to also
put the condition in that case. In addition, maybe we could remove this, as
Xcode 1.5 seems to be old enough.. Maybe we could just remove all references to
“refType”.

About “buildSetting”, it is empty for “PBXProject”, so I think it would be save
to remove it.

About “buildStyles”, it is only used to set “COPY_PHASE_STRIP” to “NO”. On
Xcode 6.4 this key is set in “XCBuildConfiguration” section. So we could move
this to the new section.

If someone else is working on this, I’d gladly join efforts :)

Meanwhile I will start on a patch. Should I open a bug?

Thanks a lot!
Arnau Quintana