Thank you Brad. I took the aggressive way and completely wiped the environment
inside the debugged process. For those anyone wishing to do something similar,
here’s what I’ve done:

I wrote a PowerShell oneliner:

        gci Env: | foreach { $_.Name + "=" + $_.Value } | Out-File -FilePath
.\Desktop\env.txt -Append

When invoked inside a Visual Command Prompt this outputs a complete environment
into a file in a format that can be copy-pasted into the Visual Studio Project
Property Page. Make sure to set Merge Environment option to No. After this it
worked like a charm.

Now it’s only up to me to understand the entire process of Makefile generation.
Global/Local Generators, LocalMakeFileGenerator3 (does 3 correspond to the
third layer of makefiles? If yes, where is 2?)… The code is fairly convoluted
(seems a bit more complex than neccessary, but it might be my lack of
understanding that makes me feel this way).

One sidequestion: what is the reason for eliding STL algorithms? There are nice
iterators all over the place, yet no algorithms used, even when it were
possible. Algorithms make the code much easier to understand (the name of the
algorithm states the intent of the for-loop), plus when C++17 hits
(configure-time check?), parallel STL invocations could speed up the
configuration process automatically with minimal code impact. Would you accept
such patches, where loops are exchanged for algorithms where possible?

Feladó: Brad King