On 17.01.2017 23:25, Chris Bieneman wrote:
Hello CMake-developers!

In one of the LLVM sub-projects we have a problem where we need to install object files, which doesn't seem like a particularly easy task. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on how to approach this problem.

The patch is currently being reviewed here:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D28791

Since the object files have fairly simple compile commands our current approach is to compile the files in custom commands, then use install(FILES...). This is workable, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. They do need to be object files, static archives would not work because these specially named files are handled by linkers and other tools that we don't control.

Also more of a workaround but perhaps you could create static libraries but extract them with e.g. CMAKE_AR (toolchain specific) during either installation e.g. install(CODE|SCRIPT) or as a POST_BUILD custom command.

An OBJECT library might be better suited in theory but I don't think it currently allows installation and the location of the object files is generator specific (and afair not always known to cmake). By doing a manual extraction of the archive you'd be in control over where the objects go.

Nils