Thanks Brad,

I think I can use FLAGS for now then, but if my requirements get more
complicated I'll use OPTIONS and require 3.11. I think the docs change would be
helpful.

Cheers,
Harry

Harry Mallon
CODEX | Senior Software Engineer
60 Poland Street | London | England | W1F 7NT
E harry.mallon@codex.online | T +44 203 7000 989
On 01/05/2018, 14:13, "Brad King" <brad.k...@kitware.com> wrote:

    On 05/01/2018 06:33 AM, Harry Mallon wrote:
    > I just noticed that COMPILE_OPTIONS is 3.11.0 only. I can’t understand
    > from the docs which of COMPILE_OPTIONS or COMPILE_FLAGS is preferred
    > and why I might use one or the other.

    COMPILE_OPTIONS for targets has existed for a long time.  What is
    new in 3.11 is COMPILE_OPTIONS for source files.  COMPILE_FLAGS
    has existed for source files for a long time too.

    The difference is that COMPILE_FLAGS takes a command-line string
    of flags that requires manual escaping.  COMPILE_OPTIONS takes a
    ;-list of flags and will do the escaping automatically.

    The docs of the two options should be updated to mention each other
    and make the distinction clear.