Le lun. 17 déc. 2018 à 22:04, Eric Noulard <eric.noul...@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi Kyle,
>
> Is your proposal a follow-up on the initial bunch of ideas launched in
> this thread launch by Eike in November
> https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-developers/2018-November/030913.html
> with follow-up ideas in in december:
> https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-developers/2018-December/030920.html
>
> or is it somehow unrelated?
>

> Le lun. 17 déc. 2018 à 21:18, Kyle Edwards via cmake-developers <
> cmake-developers@cmake.org> a écrit :
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> One of the things that's long been requested of CMake is the ability to
>> have multiple toolchains - for instance, one host toolchain and one
>> cross toolchain, so that "utilities" needed for build can be built with
>> the host toolchain and then the "real" software can be built with the
>> cross toolchain.
>>
>> To solve this problem, I would like to propose the creation of a new
>> first-class object type, the "toolchain" type, which would replace the
>> current variable-based system, similar to how imported targets replaced
>> variable-based usage requirements.
>>
>> Every project would automatically receive one toolchain, the "DEFAULT"
>> toolchain, which would be either automatically configured or configured
>> based on CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE, just like the current system. New
>> toolchains could be added with the add_toolchain() command:
>>
>> add_toolchain(CrossToolchain FILE /path/to/toolchain/file.cmake)
>>

> This has some common design issue as my proposal:
> enable_cross_target(...)
> for which Eike has valuable doubt:
> https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-developers/2018-November/030919.html
>

>> Then, executables and libraries could have a toolchain specified:
>>
>> add_executable(BuildUtility TOOLCHAIN DEFAULT ...)
>> add_library(MyLibrary TOOLCHAIN CrossToolchain ...)
>>
>> Note that the TOOLCHAIN argument is optional, and if omitted, the
>> DEFAULT toolchain is used.
>>

> So if you want to build both for host and cross toolchain you'll have to
> explicitely
> add_executable/library(MyLibrary TOOLCHAIN DEFAULT)
> add_executable/library(MyLibrary TOOLCHAIN CrossToolchain)
>
> If you follow the previously referred discussion you cannot assume that
> one lib/exe
> built for a toolchain is not built for another toolchain as well.
>
> How do you envision the cross-toolchain target dependency which was
> a question raised several time.
>

>> If a project uses multiple toolchains, we could have the option to
>> rename the default toolchain with an alternative add_toolchain()
>> syntax:
>>
>> add_toolchain(HostToolchain DEFAULT)
>>
>> Rather than adding a new toolchain, this would simply rename the
>> "DEFAULT" toolchain to "HostToolchain". Then the toolchain
>> specification for each target could look like this:
>>
>> add_executable(BuildUtility TOOLCHAIN HostToolchain ...)
>> add_library(MyLibrary TOOLCHAIN CrossToolchain ...)
>>
>> Two new global read-only properties would be added: TOOLCHAINS and
> [...]

... sorry wrong key pressed...

CMake could perfectly automatically create the new "TOOLCHAIN" object by
same toolchain file as we have today. We could simple add a new variable
CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_NAME in that file so that CMake (and the user) can name
them as he wants.
When there is no CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_NAME this would be the default toolchain.

--
Eric