On 2019-02-08 15:19-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

So all is well with that C example, but I would like to know *how*
CMake knew (for the build tree case) that the rpath option was needed.

Having thought some more about this, I now assume the CMake build-tree
algorithm is if the library is specified with a full path, and that
location is non-standard use rpath/runpath (regardless of whether the
the library referred to sets rpath/runpath or not).  And I have also
confirmed from several different web sources that the internal
property rpath is transitive while the internal propery runpath is
non-transitive.  So I assume for linkers (such as the one for Debian
Testing) that transform external -rpath options to runpath internally,
it is no longer possible to be quite so sloppy, i.e., it is best to
specify the rpath option following the normal transitive (e.g., for
static internal libraries) and non-transitive (e.g., for shared
external libraries) rules that are used for linking. But could someone
here please confirm (or correct) these assumptions?

Once I have the requested confirmation of my assumptions (or else a
set of corrected assumptions) from someone here, then I think it
should be straightforward for me to deal with the peculiar static
OCaml case where I have discovered that internal runpath (for Debian
Testing) versus internal rpath (for Debian Jessie) appears to make a
crucial difference.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science