On 2007-12-13 18:45-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

Brad, I am struggling with understanding the recursive make system that
CMake normally employs so I am having trouble following the complete
Makefile logic that my simple example creates.  However,
CMakeFiles/tclIndex_examples_tcl2.dir/build.make generated by my simple
CMake example seems to follow the above OPTION A scenario. Indeed, if I execute
that Makefile directly from the commmand line, e.g.,

make -f CMakeFiles/tclIndex_examples_tcl2.dir/build.make \
CMakeFiles/tclIndex_examples_tcl2.dir/clean
make -j 2 -f CMakeFiles/tclIndex_examples_tcl2.dir/build.make \
CMakeFiles/tclIndex_examples_tcl2.dir/build

there are never double copy problems, while if I run

make clean
make -j 2

there are always double copy problems.  (You should try this for yourself to
be sure you can replicate my experience.) So my current working hypothesis
is there is a parallel build issue for OPTION A that CMake artificially
introduces when it recursively invokes make (i.e., the result of the
above "make -j 2" command).

That last sentence was poorly written.  Replace it with the following:

So my current working hypothesis is there is a parallel build issue for
OPTION A that CMake artificially introduces through its generated recursive
make system.  That generated recursive make system is invoked with the above
"make -j 2" command, but bypassed with the "make -j 2 -f CMakeFiles/..."
command above.

Alan

Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).