Let me try this again.

I have a f90 subroutine that performs file IO. I would like to link that with a C++ driver.

If I use a fortran driver, I am able to set the binary format via
        set( CMAKE_Fortran_FLAGS "-fconvert=big-endian" )
This results in file IO in big-endian format.

When using the C++ driver, (linking with g++), I cannot get things working properly. I have tried various compiler settings:

add_definitions( -Xlinker -fconvert=big-endian ) # links, but does not affect endian-ness add_definitions( -Wl,-fconvert=big-endian ) # links, but does not affect endian-ness add_definitions( -mbig-endian ) # does not work - link fails with unrecognized flag

None of these result in an executable that properly handles big-endian file formats.

The system I am compiling on is a little-endian system (intel Mac) with gfortran 4.4.0 and g++ 4.0.1.