If you distribute on OS X then there are some CMake facilities to
help you create a stand alone .app bundle. Basically it will run
"install_name_tool" on the dylibs to make sure they reference
dependent libraries that are stored inside the .app bundle. Usually
this is a real pain to do by hand due to the dependency tree for each
library that needs to be taken into account.

here is an example that does just that using the Qt libraries as an example:

http://www.bluequartz.net/software/files/QtTest.zip

On windows I would build with static libraries if at all possible.

Mike

I was really hoping that CPack would do the heavy lifting for me. Is that not the case?

I looked at the example you provided, but I am not really enough of a CMake wizard to figure out what to change for my case...

James