So, in general, when using globbing, YOU are responsible for rerunning
CMake whenever you've added a source file. Otherwise you run the risk of
the new file not being compiled. Furthermore, you might accidentally
compile sources that were just lying around in your directory as test
code. Deletion of sources can also cause interesting effects if you
create a library, because the object will remain in that library until
you (manually) remove and recreate the library.

I hope my examples convinced you enough that globbing is (in general) a
bad idea.

So is it common practice among users of CMake to manually create and maintain a list of all files that are to be compiled, even if such a list is very large and may involve several directories and subdirectories?