Thanks very much again for your help.  I now have enough
to fix my problem.  Some more info below that might be of
general interest.

On 7/19/10 12:43 PM, Brad King wrote:
On 07/19/2010 11:46 AM, John R. Cary wrote:
and I passed the correct fortran, so I also know that what is
here:

   numbersix.cary$ grep IMPLICIT CMakeFiles/CMakeFortranCompiler.cmake
   SET(CMAKE_Fortran_IMPLICIT_LINK_LIBRARIES "gfortran")
   SET(CMAKE_Fortran_IMPLICIT_LINK_DIRECTORIES
   "/usr/local/lib/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin10/4.5.0;/usr/local/lib")

So can I just INCLUDE CMakeFiles/CMakeFortranCompiler.cmake and
then add these libraries to my target in cases where I know they
are correct?

Or perhaps the include is done automatically?
The presence of that file is undocumented but it is always included
as part of enabling a language anyway.  The variables mentioned above
*are* documented so you can reference them.  However, this is a
workaround too.  If you have a C/C++ project that depends on Trilinos
your code should not have to be aware of the Trilinos->blas->Fortran
dependency.

Thanks.  I will do this workaround for now.
Note that if you use the *shared* libblas.so and liblapack.so then
you do not need to list the implementation dependencies explicitly.
Another way to view this is that when you pointed Trilinos at the
blas and lapack libraries to use, you chose the static ones but
did not mention their dependencies.  This is where the manual
interference comes in.

Got it.  I use static libs alot because I am forced to
on some of the Crays and BGPs.

You could set TPL_LAPACK_LIBRARIES and TPL_BLAS_LIBRARIES to list
the dependencies (by full path!).  Indeed, these variables are
documented as

"List of semi-colon separated full paths to the libraries for
  the TPL BLAS.  This is the final variable that is used in the
  link commands."

Yes.  Interestingly, it seems that this is buggy, as I noted
to the trilinos team last week or so.  On my Linux box the
pointed to what was in /usr/lib64, but due to system setup
(ld.so.conf), trilinos was actually picking up the atlas libs.

Thanks again.  I see how to proceed.

John Cary