not sure if the following was sent to the newsgroup?
Sorry if posting double..

set_property(DIRECTORY PROPERTY ADDITIONAL_MAKE_CLEAN_FILES
                        ${RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY}/${target}.tds
                        )

Is your RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY variable set up correctly?

In the top Cmake file I have
set(EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH      ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/bins)
set(CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH})
Not sure if that is best practice? I'm a cmake beginner

Do you
perhaps mean the target property of this name instead, and what's
the value of your "target" variable?

In the 'target' cmake file, where the target is an application or a dll, it
looks something like (for an application 'read_from_file'):

set(target read_from_file)
add_executable(${target} main.cpp)

#MTK libraries
target_link_libraries (${target} mtkCommon)
#VTK libraries
target_link_libraries(${target} vtkCommon)
ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND(
TARGET ${target} POST_BUILD
COMMAND echo ${target} and ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}
COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy_if_different
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/ball.mtk ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}
COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy_if_different
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/Alanine.mtk ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}
)

set_property(DIRECTORY PROPERTY ADDITIONAL_MAKE_CLEAN_FILES
                        ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}/ball.mtk
                        ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}/Alanine.mtk
                        ${RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY}/${target}.tds
                        )

#then comes installs, omitted...
install (TARGETS ${target}                              DESTINATION bins)

In the set_property command, the cleaning works for the text files, ball and
Alanine.mtk. Interestingly, if I change it to
                        ${EXCECUTABLE_PATH}/${target}.tds

So I guess the RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY variable is not set correctly? I thought
I read somewhere it is setup when the CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY is setup?

Any feedback appreciated!
totte