On 02/20/2012 04:32 PM, Barth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let be a project A developed and distributed by organization AA.
> Let be another project B depending on A, developed by organization BB. B
> calls find_package(A) in its CMakeLists.txt as to get the dependencies
> libraries and includes.
>
> How should FindA.cmake be distributed ?
> Option 1: package A (eg. A.rpm) installs it in /usr/share/cmake/ (on Linux)
> so that it is found by B or any other project that needs it.
> Option 2: package A installs it in a more specific location such as
> /opt/A/cmake. However, how would B find it ?
> Option 3: package A doesn't install it anywhere and we let the developers of
> B download it manually.
>
> I would go for option 1 but I am not really sure what is the standard way.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Barth

If A is built with CMake, AA should make it install AConfig.cmake in one
of the directories documented for the find_package command. See
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Tutorials/How_to_create_a_ProjectConfig.cmake_file
for a simplistic tutorial.

Otherwise BB can include FindA.cmake in its own package. If it is a
transitive dependency (i.e. people wanting to compile against B also
need to find A) it should be installed next to the BConfig.cmake which
uses it directly.

HTH

Michael