Thank you all for your resonses,

My use case is that I have a set of executables that function as unit tests.
Currently I use the return value of the .exe as a means of indicating success,
though I know there is way to match std::cout against a regex for more complex
tests. However, the timings of the tests are not always suitable for
benchmarking, because I only want the timings of a particular part of the
tests. Their initialization times are comparable to their runtimes. While I
could tune a parameter so that the init phase is negligable, but then
benchmarking would take for ages. I want to write benchmark executables
(similar to unit tests) that write a single number to the console and nothing
else. Run some command (make bench?, cbench?) which runs, these tests, fetches
the sole number from the std::cout and prints those numbers as output instead
of the total run time presented by ctest.

@Peter: I also encountered Google Benchmark. I have already seen it’s output
and is perfectly fine. I am however a bit reluctant to grab another dependency
that all my consumers would be advised to install. CMake is a fairly full blown
suite and I was hoping to find something that could provide similar results.

@Matt: Seems nice. Python is not much a dependency, but VTK is less evident to
be present on all machines.

@Alexander: I still have to look into this, because information seems a little
scarce on doing it. It seems to me, that CDash has to be installed somewhere to
be able visualize the data. Is there a way to generate the HTML-r for local
consumption instead of submitting somewhere? (Ideally bypassing a local
installation of CDash)

I know, I have a lot of problems. Ultimately I will choose one of the above, I
was just looking for the one that is the least painful. I am very reluctant on
obtaining dependencies. CMake is such a good tool, it seems strange to me that
no direct benchmarking support has been added yet.

Any ideas?