Not only is it possible ... it WILL happen if you use the Microsoft
C++ compiler and try to mix and match Release and Debug compilation
units.

The MS compiler has some very nice memory tracking facilities built
into the Debug runtime libraries, but it is accomplished via different
structs for Debug and Release builds with extra stuff in the Debug
structs.

So allocations from a Debug compilation unit will not be accessed
correctly in a linked-in Release compilation unit when a pointer to it
is passed across the boundary.

You will see access violations and hard crashes happening in builds
from the Microsoft compiler unless you ensure that everything in a
build has matching Debug/Release defines and compiler settings.

It is only safe to mix-n-match if all calls which cross a boundary
between compilation units have NO differences in their struct and
class definitions from an ABI perspective. Since it is difficult to
verify when this is the case (in general) for large C++ projects, it's
best to avoid mixing and matching...

HTH,
David C.