Microsoft has added support for remote-compiling and -debugging on
Linux from within Visual Studio through an official VS extension:

My question: is it already possible to generate a Visual Studio
solution for this scenario? If not, is support for this planned,
similar to the Android cross-compile scenario?

It would be nice if I could generate such a solution with (for instance):

cmake -G "Visual Studio 14" -DCMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=VSLinux

I've been looking at the generated solution files, and the only
'interesting' part in the vxproj file seems to be this section:

  <PropertyGroup Label="Globals">

There seems to be a hardwired mapping between Visual Studio compiler
options and gcc/clang options, for instance setting optimization to
-O3 in the VS property dialog adds these lines to the vxproj file:

  <ItemDefinitionGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|x64'">

Cheers & thanks,