Hi there

I am trying to coax a Cmake generation of a Visual Studio project of our cross-platform product, that includes the PNaCl platform. The MSBuild setup for PNaCl is a little bit fussy, and does not like the relative pathnames in <AdditionalDependencies>, that get produced when the product has target_link_libraries setup between the static libraries in the product. For the sake of this mail I'll call the library project 'LibProject', which as it's based on unix toolchain, will get the static lib created as libLibProject.a. To be used as a command-line on the PNaCl cross-compiler, then it needs to get translated to -lLibProject (without the lib prefix, or the .a suffix).

So going into the Visual Studio generator for the EXE project, at present are the relative paths (will use Debug for this example): ../LibProject/Debug/libLibProject.a which gets added to the <AdditionalDependencies> tag in the .vcxproj

To make the PNaCl MSBuild extension work, then instead it needs to be:

 * <AdditionalDependencies>LibProject</AdditionalDependencies>
 *
<AdditionalLibraryDirectories>../LibProject/Debug</AdditionalLibraryDirectories>

I am well aware that these get set by the cmake functions: target_link_libraries() and link_directories(), so feel this ought to be possible by Cmake script.

What I'm struggling with, is finding *a place* where I can:

 * Query all the libraries that have become dependent on a target (the
   input to the Generator).  As target_link_libraries cascade, so my
   EXE project does not know about all of its leaf libraries, so I'm
   not really sure if there is a target property with ALL the dependent
   static library projects)
 * Adjust this list, stripping: path, 'lib' and '.a'
 * Inserting link_directories (or the equivalent, presuming it's some
   target property now), corresponding to the relative paths that were
   stripped in the step above

All of this would need to happen, after we've finished setting up the target, but before the generator. Ideally this would be something I defined in the ToolChain folder - but I can't think of any kind of callback in the CMake system.

I'm open to other suggestions, about how to setup this visual studio cross-compile. While PNaCl + MSDev may be rare, I feel that cross-compiling for other unix systems with -l and -L library and path command-lines ought to have been done before with Visual Studio generators.

Thanks in advance

Andy