On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:55 AM, Patrick Boettcher
<patrick.boettcher@posteo.d>> My reason of preferring pkg-config is
because it may have all
>> other kind of stuff in it that the maintainer thought is necessary.
>> I'd imagine some .pc files export a boatload of flags for all 3
>> stages, and I rather not ignored them. It is also quite important
>> when there are chained dependencies.
>
> Understandable.
>
> If I understand things correctly, pkg-config does not return the
> RPATH-arguments necessary to link with. IOW, if used in a GNU
> Makefile you would also need to add these by yourself, right? So your
> problem is not a cmake-problem.

IMHO it's not fair to say - if it's not supported by GNUmake, it shouldn't
be supported by CMake.

In any case, the CMake documentation says that INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH
"...will append directories in the linker search path and outside the project
to the INSTALL_RPATH...", there is no statement that it only applies to
linker search paths that were supplied in a certain way.

[skipped]