On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Stephen Kelly <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Craig Scott wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Stephen Kelly
> > <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Probably set CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD
> >>
> >> without CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED (That variable doesn't really make
> >> sense
> >> to me and I think it is overused when not needed).
> >>

> > If you don't set CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED, then there's no guarantee
> > you get any particular minimum standard.
>
> He wants to fall back all the way to C++98. Am I missing something?

Sorry, my comments were based on the example code which looks as though it
was expecting C++11 to be a minimum requirement. The paragraph that follows
it describes a  different scenario, as you say. Apologies for the confusion!

> > Roger's example (sorry Roger!)
> > highlights part of the confusion about this latter variable (and the
> > target property it ultimately controls). He appears to be setting it
> > expecting it to specify a minimum version, but that's not how it works.
> It
> > is expected to be a boolean which says whether CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD must be
> > honoured or not, which most developers (myself included) tend to find
> > unintuitive.
>
> Ok.
>
> I remember I was opposed to introducing CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED in the
> first place as I think it is redundant. I recommend populating compile
> features for whatever you absolutely need and let cmake populate the std
> flag. If your code can benefit from a more-recent std flag than the
> requirement, then set CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD to that.
>
> > Roger's use would actually make it a bit better, if that was
> > how it worked, but unfortunately there's currently no way to set a
> > *minimum* standard version,
>
> If you have a minimum, then you must be relying on some language features
> existing and you can list those.

Until very recently, that only worked for language features, it didn't help
if you relied on parts of the STL, for example. I think the recently added
cxx_std_?? compiler meta feature comes close to giving the behaviour I was
describing now, but it is less convenient in that you always have to set it
for every target, there isn't an associated variable that sets a default
for all targets (that I'm aware of - I'd be happy to be wrong on this one!).

Roger, to get back to your original question, Stephen's suggestion of not
setting CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED is probably going to give you what you
are seeking. My view is that setting just CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD leads to
unintuitive behaviour for many developers, but since you've explicitly
stated that it is indeed the behaviour that you want, then I guess it works
for you. Just be prepared to explain it to other developers from time to
time!