Thanks for the excellent suggestion. Unfortunately we can't really use
for Visual Studio.
The problem is that the two "add_library" calls result in two visual
studio projects. The
problem with this is that our generated Visual Studio solution already
has 300 odd
projects, using you suggestion would result in maybe 500 odd. We are
already on the limit
of projects in Visual Studio before the IDE becomes unusable. We could
of course split
the software up into multiple solutions but we are very loath to do this.

However it's a great solution for our Ninja builds, so thanks.