(and we don't use find_lib(QT) because once upon a time it was
  tried but not instantly found working for cross compiling).

We're investigating whether we simply can switch to find_lib(QT)
which should solve that.

Does this make sense or am I mislead?

I have used it for crosscompiling in the CMake 3.x timeframe and it worked fine as long as qmake is properly set up (i.e. has it's qt.conf so it finds it's paths).

Eike