On 9/7/2017 10:34 AM, paul via CMake wrote:
On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 02:58 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:
On 9/6/2017 11:39 PM, P F via CMake wrote:

The `add_test` function can run whatever command you want it to, including
compiling a target:

add_library(foo_compile_test STATIC EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL foo_compile_test.cpp)
add_test(NAME foo_compile_test
      COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} --build . --target foo_compile_test --config
$<CONFIGURATION>
      WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR})

Then you set cmake to expect failure:

set_tests_properties(foo_compile_test PROPERTIES WILL_FAIL TRUE)

You can also check for output instead of just expecting failure:

set_tests_properties(mytest PROPERTIES
    PASS_REGULAR_EXPRESSION "foo failed"
)

This is especially useful to make sure that the error is from the
static_assert message and not from another compile error.

Of course, cmake could provide a module which provides a function to do
this, which additionally could help workaround the caveats of this
approach. This is essentially what `bcm_test` in the boost cmake modules
do. > > Hopefully, in the future this module could be merged upstream into
cmake.
It seems like a hack to have to build a CMake target, with the
add_library call, just to compile a source file as a test.

I dont see how this is a hack. Cmake is target-oriented, if I want to control
the compile flags for this compile-test, I can do:

target_compile_options(foo_compile_test -Wall -Werror)

If it were builtin to cmake, how would the user set the compile options? It
seems cmake would need to add `target_*` based function for compile tests as
well. This seems bloated and inconsistent.

I meant it was a hack because you need to add a build of a STATIC library just to do a compile test. However if, as has been suggested, you can alternatively add a build of an OBJECT library to do the compile test, then that seems the correct way of doing it to me, if it actually works. I am surprised that it works, else I imagine `bcm_test` would have used that instead instead of building a STATIC library.