Randy,

Miroslav's recommendation should work. To expand on his response, here are the
commands that I use with VS2017 to allow cmake to run from the command line:

- Start cmd session (should also work via powershell)
- To import VS17's command line environment run "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsall.bat"
x86
- Add extra project specific environment variables (possibly including
appending PATH with the location of cmake).

I created a batch file that does these steps for me (and a shortcut on my
desktop that runs the batch file).

@echo off
rem cmake-with-vs17-env.bat
@call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsall.bat" x86 %*
set PATH=%PATH%;c:\MinGW\bin;C:\Program Files\CMake\bin;C:\Program
Files\doxygen\bin;c:\Python27amd64
rem set CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=<whatever>

With this environment, I can run cmake from the command line (cmake-gui or
cmake). I can generate "Visual Studio 15 2017" or "MSYS Makefiles" projects and
I can build them with or w/o the GUI.

I hope this helps!

-kt