On 2018-10-31 14:17-0000 Ian Cullen wrote:

Looks like someone had a similar idea to you a few days ago - https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/18505

Also discussed previously:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/14756
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16833

In addition I requested something like this roughly a decade ago although
it has likely not propagated all the way from the bug tracker back then
to this latest generation of the bug tracker.

I think simply reporting back most cmake arguments specified on the
command line is completely straightforward, i.e., what is
reported back would simply be a list of all cmake arguments that were
specified by the user.  But the -D subset of the arguments are a special case
because there are cache complications.

For that subset what is useful to me is what was requested in 14756, i.e.,
give the user a minimal set of cmake arguments that allow them to
reproduce the build starting from an empty build tree.  (For example,
if the user specified a -D value which happened to be the default presented
by the option command, this unnecessary -D value
would be dropped from this minimal list.)  I guess 16833 (which asked
just for whatever the last set of cmake options were regardless of
cache state) might have a use case as well, but in the discussion
there the requester finally decided that 14756 would satisfy his
needs.

In sum, it would be great from my perspective if the "reproduce the
build from empty build-tree case" use case presented in 14756 (and also very
long ago by me) was
finally addressed.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin