At MacOS, in 99% cases, the build task always needs to setup the variables

   - CMAKE_OSX_TARGET
   - CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

This 2 variables are important. The CMAKE_OSX_TARGET would define the
minimal set of API during compilation, and this affects the built binary.
The second is the path to the OSX SDK, usually it stays
in
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs
. Since SDK changes file and directory structure according the language
feature, this is important to the program which has to use C++11 or C++14
or new header files.

Personally I only use 10.9 SDK, which is the first version migrated to
C++11, and SDK changed a lot compared to 10.8, and the program is
compatible with the later system.