Robert,

We unfortunately can't just modify the boost libraries where they are installed
because our customers need to be able to build our project from source, and
they would need to do the same thing. We could perhaps do something more
radical like copy those libraries into the build tree and modify them, or build
our own boost as part of our project.

Alternatively, we could use install_name_tool  to edit the build tree
executables and change their dependencies from libboost_foo.dylib to
@rpath/libboost_foo.dylib, just like we do for the executables we install. Can
you think of a mechanism in CMake that would allow us to run install_name_tool
on our executables as a final step in the build process?

Thanks again for your help.

Adam

--
J. Adam Stephens, Ph.D.
Dakota Support Analyst

On 2/5/19, 3:06 PM, "Robert Maynard" <robert.mayn...@kitware.com> wrote:

    The version of the libraries that you load from your build directory
    would need to be fixed up to.

    On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM Stephens, J. Adam <jast...@sandia.gov> wrote:

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. We do use install_name_tool and the like when
installing/packaging, and our packages continue to work fine on OS X 10.12. My
question is about what to do with executables before packaging, while they are
still just in the build tree. We need them to work for purposes of testing via
CTest.

    > Adam
    >

    > On 2/5/19, 2:56 PM, "Robert Maynard" <robert.mayn...@kitware.com> wrote:
    >
    >     My general approach for the second problem is to run a tool such as
    >     install_name_tool to change the library names to have @rpath when
    >     constructing the package.
    >
    >     On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:25 PM Stephens, J. Adam via CMake
    >     <cmake@cmake.org> wrote:
    >     >
    >     > Hello,
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > The project I work on links to several shared boost libraries.
After our organization disallowed use of OS X 10.11 and we upgraded our
built/test slave to 10.12, we encountered a problem with our testing.
Executables in the build tree that were built as part of our project now fail
to run with the error that boost libraries can’t be found.
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > Superficially, the problem is that (I think) Apple strengthened the
SIP between 10.11 and 10.12 to prevent DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH from having any effect
– previously the linker was able to locate the boost libs for our build tree
executables that way.
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > The deeper problem is twofold: First, the build tree executables
don’t include the boost lib folder in their RPATHs. Second, the install names
embedded in boost libs themselves are just the bare filenames with no @rpath.
(My understanding is, the boost project does that deliberately because they
can’t know what users of their libraries will want.)
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > Recent versions of CMake (3.8+) have the property BUILD_RPATH that
we could use to embed the path to the boost libs into the build tree
executables. That doesn’t solve the second part of the problem, though. Without
embedding install names that look like @rpath/libboost_foo.dylib in the build
tree executables, I think the linker will still be unable to find them.
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
    >     >
    >     > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For
more information on each offering, please visit: