try using
SOURCE_DIR = ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/freetype/src/freetype
CONFIGURE_COMMAND = ./autgen.sh && ./configure
BUILD_COMMAND = make

It should git clone into SOURCE_DIR, configure the source by running
CONFIGURE_COMMAND and build it using BUILD_COMMAND, You may need
INSTALL_COMMAND = "" if you dont want to make install it

Thiago