On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, at 10:16 AM, David Aldrich wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> My CMakeLists.txt file for my shared library contains:
>
> add_library(MyLib SHARED my_source.cpp etc.)
> target_include_directories( MyLib PRIVATE ../MyHeaders)
>
> The library builds ok, but there is no dependency on directory ../MyHeaders -
> touching a header file does not result in a re-compile of dependent source
> files.
>
> There's a discussion here:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13703647/how-to-properly-add-include-directories-with-cmake
>
> Opinion seems divided over whether or not it is necessary to add the header
> files to the list of source files for the target, e.g.:
>
> set(SOURCES file.cpp file2.cpp ${YOUR_DIRECTORY}/file1.h
> ${YOUR_DIRECTORY}/file2.h)
> add_library(test ${SOURCES})
>
> Please will you tell me what is the best practice?
> --

What generator are you using?
That thread seems to contain a lot of misunderstandings about the issue.

If you are using the Makefile generator then refer to
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7461000/handling-header-files-dependencies-with-cmake.
 After building the project for the first time inspect the `depend.make files
that are generated to verify if the headers are being picked up correctly as a
dependency.`

`--`
`F`